Infor Integration (Openworld/BOBS/Direct DB/OLE)
Openworld is the best way for integrating Infor ERP with external application. There are various other ways like hitting the DB directly (not recommended), OLE integration which is also good in case of less data, BOBS (Baan OLE Broker Server) which is again an OLE based solution developed by Carlos Kassab , not really tried it though.
Hitting the DB directly may have various downsides like
1. Corrupting you database tables,as a result of improper validation while hitting the db from backend.
2. Table definition or schema change (in case of upgrade) which may result in failure in your application, everytime there is a change you will have to incorporate the change in your application.
OLE Automation is again a good solution wherein you can use the BaaN Business logic, call BaaN Dlls from you application for reading/writing a Baan database.But again it wont be of use when working with loads of data.
Openworld remains the unbeaten hero when it comes to BaaN integration.
Below are the performance tips while using openworld
1) Design your DCD/QCD properly.
2) Avoid unneccesary fields in your design.
3) Avoid using AFS (Application Function server).
4) Use DAL/DAL 2 (Data Access Layer) wherever posible.
5) Make sure logging is off in the BOI Adapter ( Alternatively can check the mask in bus.properties file).Logging ON can result in downside in performance as each an every record (IN/OUT) is written to the log file.
6) Share the data over multiple buscomponents.
7) BOI compiler allows (Java/c#) proxies, so choose proper proxies based on your application to avoid multiple platforms.